A critical essay can be an analysis of a text such as film, book, article or a painting. It should have a thesis that is argumentative.
The following are the 20 ways through which one can be able to write acritical analysis essay.
- Always ensure that you understand the assignment
Always make sure you read the guidelines and determine what your assignment requires to be done. Try to underline those areas that you don’t understand and try to consult your teacher for more clarity.
- Conduct a critical reading of your primary sources
Most of the critical analysis essays requires one to carry out an evaluation of a book, a movie, a painting and other types of writing. Therefore, for you to do this one requires to understand it by becoming familiar with the primary text. Read and read the text and this will help you to know the text in and out. If it a visual text like a movie, ensure that you watch it a multiple time.
- Makes notes as you read your text
This will help one to remember quickly aspects of the text that are important. Besides, it will enable one to think critically. The following questions should be kept in mind as you read through your text;
- The main ideas in the text
- What the text says or talks about
- What is the significant of the text?
- Is the purpose of the text being accomplished?
- Determine the author’s thesis
As you read through your primary source, try to identify the thesis of the topic. This will help you to know what the author is trying to put across.
- Identify the appeals that are used
As read through the primary source, try as much as possible to identify all the appeals that are used in the essay.
- Review your notes to see whether there are patterns and problems
After reading and taking notes about your text try to go through it in order to identify what patterns are present in the text and what are the problems that stands out to you. Always try as much as possible to see whether you can be able to identify solutions to some of the problems you have identified. By identifying the solution, it will aid you in developing a focus to your essay.
- Evaluate the author’s success in conveying his or her messages
After reading your primary sources, is the writer able to convey his or her message to the readers more effectively.
- Find any secondary sources that is appropriate if required
If secondary sources are required in order to complete writing your critical analysis essay then you will be required to do some research.
- Carry out an evaluation to determine the credibility of your secondary sources
If it an academic essay always ensure that the sources used are academic. Besides, through using library data bases will ensure that you are getting sources that are plenty and trustworthy.
- Read your research
After you ensure that the sources required are available, read them. Apply the same reading strategy that you used when reading the primary sources. Ensure that the secondary sources are read multiple times to make sure you understand them.
- Take notes while you read your secondary sources
Always underline and highlight passages that are significant so that it makes it easy when you go back to them.
- Start writing your essay by developing a tentative thesis
After reading your primary and secondary sources start writing your essay by writing your essay statement.
- Develop a rough outline based on the research notes
By drafting your essay, it will help you to organize your information more effectively. Your draft can be detailed or scant according the way you want it to be.
- Uses sentences that are engaging when beginning your essay that gets into your topic
Always make sure that your introduction always discusses your topic. Try to think what you want to discuss in your essay then include it in the introduction.
- Provide background information that will help in guiding your readers
Ensure that the background information is adequate so that the readers can be guiders more easily throughout your essay.
- Discuss specific components of your text through using the body paragraphs
Discuss every single aspect of your text in different paragraphs rather discussing all the aspects in one paragraph.
- Develop a conclusion for your essay
The conclusion should emphasize on showing your readers what your text is talking about. Reflect on what you have written before you write your conclusion.
- Set aside your paper for a few days before revising your draft
Give your brain a rest after having finished drafting your paper. This will help you to have a fresh perspective.
- Always ensure you have substantive time to carry out your revision so as you can be able to clarify any confusing logic or arguments
Try to consider multiple aspects as you revise your paper that your readers can be able to understand your essay
- Proofread your final printed version of your draft
Try to read out your paper loudly to make sure that any types and grammatical errors and any other minor mistakes are identified.